foam - the characteristics and properties of insulation
foam - a modern building material, which is used for thermal insulation of buildings.It can be used for both exterior and for interior works.The foam characteristics which we will cover in this article has a number of advantages.This material demand and unusually high demand from developers and construction companies.
- structure and composition of the foam
- Specifications foam
- Video: Foam and acetone - chemical experience
- Video: Test for flammability of the foam
- Stamps foam, depending on the density and the use of
- Disadvantages foam
- Video: Styrofoam: Myths and Reality
structure and composition of the foam
foam is a white material with a rigid foam structure, which contains98% air, and 2% polystyrene.
For its production the technology of foaming polystyrene granules, after which these microscopic particles treated with hot steam.The procedure is repeated several times, resulting in greatly reduced p
The prepared mass is subjected to drying to remove residual moisture.The process is performed outdoors in special drying containers.At this stage of manufacturing foam structure acquires its final shape.Size the granules are in the range of from 5 to 15 mm.
dried granules of foam attached to the corresponding form in the form of plates.Compression is performed on special plants or machines that are "packed" foam and make it a compact shape.
After pressing the foam it again treated with hot steam, resulting in the formation of white blocks with preset parameters width.The blocks are cut with special tools in size, that are required to the customer.Sheets of foam may have a standard or custom sizes.The thickness of the foam ranges from 20 to 1000 mm and the size of plates have the following dimensions:
foam thermal conductivity
undeniable advantage is its unique foam insulating ability.This is because cell foam in the form of polyhedra size of 0.3-0.5 mm., A fully closed.Closed loop air cells reduces heat transfer and prevents the penetration of cold.
wind protection and sound insulation properties
walls insulated with foam, do not need additional windshield.Moreover, significantly increased sound insulation of buildings and structures.High sound insulation properties are also due to the cellular structure of the foam.For quality insulation of buildings exterior noise, enough to lay a layer of material with a thickness of 2-3 centimeters.The thicker layer of foam is used, the better sound insulation can be achieved in the room.
Low water absorption
Compared with other materials, polystyrene is characterized by low water absorption.Even with direct exposure to water, it absorbs a minimum amount of moisture.This is because the cell walls of the foam through the water penetrates and seeps only for individual channels through the interconnected cells.
strength and durability, and foam
foam boards do not change their physical properties for a long time.They can withstand considerable pressure, but it is not deformed and destroyed.A good example is the construction of runways, where foam has found widespread use.The degree of strength is determined by the thickness of styrofoam plates and proper laying.
resistance to biological and chemical attack
EPS boards resistant to aggressive environments, including salt solutions, alkalis and acids, sea water, lime, plaster, cement, bitumen, silicone and water-based paints.Certain influence by prolonged exposure may have a substance in their composition containing animal and vegetable oils, as well as gasoline and diesel fuel.
when using foam as a construction material to avoid its contact with aggressive chemical compounds, including:
- organic solvent (paints, turpentine, acetic ethyl ester, acetone);
- saturated hydrocarbons (alcohols) and petroleum products (kerosene, petrol, diesel oil, fuel oil).
cellular structure, which is the basis of the foam in contact with the listed compounds, is broken and can completely dissolve them.
Video: Foam and acetone - chemical experience
foam is a hostile environment for microorganisms.However, in case of significant contamination may occur and proliferation of harmful microorganisms on the surface thereof.
Easy to install and easy to use foam boards
differ unusually low weight, thanks to which are easy to handle, and their installation is not difficult.They cut to the required size of conventional tools.
Styrofoam recognized as environmentally safe material and does not emit harmful substances.Therefore, builders who work with him, do not require personal protective equipment.The material is not toxic, does not produce dust, it does not irritate the skin and has no odor.
quality building materials must meet all the requirements of fire safety and to be resistant to open flames.The foam does not support combustion, and breaks out at a temperature which is two times higher than wood.Moreover, when the combustion energy is released in foam 8 times less than when burning wood.This means that the flame temperature when burning the foam is significantly lower.
Styrofoam can be ignited only during direct contact with an open flame.When the exposure is stopped, foam self-extinguishes within four seconds.These indicators characterize it as relatively fireproof building material.Although manufacturers vendors argue that it is absolutely fireproof.
Video: Test for flammability of the foam
Stamps foam, depending on the density and the use of
figures denote the marking of its foam density, the higher the number the greater the density.
Styrofoam brand PPT-10 is used for:
- insulation construction site buildings, trailers and containers;
- insulation of water pipes (protecting them from frost and increase the service life).
Styrofoam brand PPT-15 is used for:
- sound insulation and interior walls;
- insulation of balconies and loggias;
- insulation of houses, flats and other premises;
- soundproofing and insulation designs without experiencing significant mechanical loads;
- insulation of water pipes (protecting them from frost and increase the service life).
Styrofoam brand PPT-20-A is used to:
- insulation of facades;
- manufacture of decorative and finishing materials.
Styrofoam brand PPT-25 is used for:
- sound and thermal insulation of interior and exterior walls;
- insulation of foundations and floors;
- insulation of attic floors and ceilings;
- sound and thermal insulation of attics and roofs;
- insulation of balconies and loggias, facades of houses and apartments;
- manufacturing sandwich panels structures (including concrete);
- arrangement of access platforms, heated tracks, car boxes, car parking;
- hydro and thermal insulation of underground utilities;
- protect the soil from freezing and swelling;
- insulation of water pipes;
- insulation of sewage;
- slope reinforcing pools, playgrounds, flower lawns.
Styrofoam brand PPT-35 is used:
- for indoor and outdoor sound and thermal insulation of walls;
- for sound and thermal insulation of foundations and floors;
- for sound and thermal insulation of attics and roofs;
- for thermal insulation of facades of houses and apartments, loggias and balconies;
- the regeneration of the floors and walls of cold stores in multi-refrigerators;
- for thermal insulation of heated soil, ventilated underground in garages;
- in paving or reconstruction of roads in a wetland soil and mobile;
- installation of refrigeration equipment (cars, refrigerators, freezers) and cold insulation storage facilities;
- to protect the bases from freezing and increase their strength in the construction of highways and runway strips;
- for laying and repairing railway lines (frost protection, protection from failures and subsidence of roads in wetland soils);
- to cover the ground in the process of strengthening bridges and ledges slope embankments.
foam marking supplemented identification letter:
- And - a plate with smooth edges in the form of the box;
- B - plate has the edge in the form of L-edge;
- P - plate, cut-to-size outdoor hot string;
- F - boards made of external dimensions in a special form;
- H - plate foam, designed for outdoor use.
Here is an example of what it looks like foam marking:
# 1. main drawback of Styrofoam - its flammability.Sheets of foam are flammable and emit toxic substances.To counter this, we have developed special additives and manufacturing self-extinguishing foam.
# 2. Construction foam must be protected from the damaging effects of solvents and UV radiation.The use of polystyrene plates outdoors require protection from the sun's rays.
Video: Styrofoam: Myths and Reality
- Reviews of foam as a heater
- reviews extruded penoppolistirole and practical experience of its use
not received a replyto your question?It was not clear moments?
Ask our experts and visitors:
+ Add new question