What better mineral wool or foam - the differences and the application of best
Developers often argue about what to insulate the walls that better mineral wool or foam?Some people think that Epps (extruded polystyrene) is the best option for home insulation, some do not.In principle, the coefficients of thermal conductivity of each of these heat insulators have a very close value.But the rest of the parameters are too different, so we shall understand with everything in order.
- The mineral wool is different from the foam
- What better insulate foam
- What better to warm mineral wool
than mineralwool is different from the foam
Attention!The term mineral wool involve several types of heaters, for details see Material: Specifications of mineral wool, its brand and selection criteria.This article will talk specifically about mineral basalt wool, because as soon as it can be compared with the properties of the foam and make a choice.All other types of mineral wool will
capable of transmitting pairs
ratio of water vapor permeability of both conventional and extruded polystyrene is 0.03 mg / (m · h · Pa).In the figure mineral wool 10 times.This means that the ability to pass evaporates water from her better.Although in practice the thermal insulation of walls composed of several layers with different water vapor permeability.The resulting water vapor transmission rate will correspond to the characteristics of the material from which it is minimal.Therefore, different types of heaters are close to each other.
If the insulation system has a polymeric structure, the mineral wool should not be used.The fact that both the base system and the outer layer made from a polymer, the moisture is passed bad.If condensation forms inside the soaked layer of mineral wool, the water can not evaporate and lose its insulating properties of the insulation.After all, if even wet wool is not very much, it would be bad to keep warm.Therefore, warm the house, should be guided by the rule: from the house have to be made good vapor barrier and a vapor barrier material with a greater need to be laid close to the outer walls.So the excess moisture will leave the streets.
foam steam does not pass, but does not accumulate.The steam penetrating from the space usually allocated through the joints and uneven heater.
This property can be both a plus and a minus, so as they say here draw.
ability to resist fire
Here mineral wool distinct advantage - because the material does not burn completely.Note that some types of wool from basalt fibers can withstand ambient temperatures up to 1000 degrees.Celsius.Styrofoam is not only easy to melt, but also capable of burning themselves.Some may argue that the polystyrene flame retardants are added which prevents the maintenance of combustion.Yes, that's right added, but their effect over time, eroding and foam begins to support combustion.And here is the video demonstrates what happens when the burning of extruded polystyrene, stone wool, foam, polyurethane foam and ecowool.
Video: How to burn insulation
mineral wool + | foam -
on this parameter are both insulation approximately equal.Cost and mineral wool of basalt, and the foam varies with the density.It affects the figure and brand.
What is more convenient to mount
polystyrene (both regular and manufactured by extrusion) is more durable and elastic than mineral wool.It is easy to cut and polishing.However, this is problematic sticking insulation so that the individual elements at the joints avoid thermal bridges.We solve this problem using foam sheets with L-shaped edge.Mineral wool capable of being dense and elastic only mats laid in the frame and on the facade.But the joints of the leaves are so small that on the cold bridges can not be considered.
mineral wool + - | foam +
ability to resist heat loss
As mentioned, manufacturers indicate almost the same value of thermal conductivity of mineral wool and foam.Empirically we found out that polystyrene for insulation still gives the best results.The fact that the same heat conductivity has only a very dense basalt wool, produced in the form of plates.But the web material, which, after rolling become more loose, yields of expanded polystyrene thermal insulation properties.
After PPP within a set of closed cells with air.This structure allows the material to retain heat very well.
But rockwool warm air is discharged to the outside - in fact it does not have isolated cells.The layers of air as a result of convection moves from the warm side to the cold insulator (outer) side.And insulation of mineral wool as a result of cooling the room faster than is insulated with polystyrene foam.
Any foam, even the most inexpensive as a thermal insulator works best wool.After all, manufacturers of refrigeration and water heating devices for warming choose his name.If these heaters are used together (in a multilayer insulation), the outside should not be polystyrene.And that does not meet the requirements to increase the water vapor permeability from the inside to the outside walls.To meet this condition, the outer layer should be a mineral wool.It seems now clear answer to the question: what is warmer - foam or mineral wool.
mineral wool - | Styrofoam +
the question of environmental
Previously made of styrene foam and used in the production of freon.This material was not suitable for use inside buildings, as it releases harmful gases.But now to the eco-friendly materials to satisfy more stringent requirements.Both European and Russian manufacturers stopped using Freon for the manufacture of foam.Therefore, for exterior use it is completely safe, in any amount, but indoors it should be applied carefully - not too carried away by the amount.
mineral wool + | Styrofoam -
About battery life, and expanded polystyrene mineral wool
can often hear or read that after 8 years or 10 foam begins to collapse.But this happens only if the material does not have any protective coating.And then the rain, snow and sun (especially) really can damage the foam.But in thermal insulation systems EPS it is usually on top of the decorative coating.A moisture formed as a result of subsidence condensate exits therefrom by moisture.In the old foam and refrigerators in 30 years nothing has been done.A German home, they warmed at 35 years worth (Polish - 20 years, Baltic - 15 years).Let us keep this in mind when deciding what to choose - expanded polystyrene or mineral wool.
As for basalt wool, its fibers are made of volcanic rock, so they are not afraid of aggressive media is naturally reflected in the long life of the material.
mineral wool + | Styrofoam -
Besides the usual foam there are extruded polystyrene, which is superior in performance as a simple foam and mineral wool.Epps inside a cell of the same, evenly spaced.It can be used not only for insulating floors, walls and roofs, but also for the construction of various buildings and structures, as well as roads.Extruded polystyrene is used not only in the construction of private homes, but also in industrial scale.
What better insulate foam
very well proved the material in places where humidity is high enough but needs to produce insulation.
- foams did nothing when in contact with wet ground, so they can be perfectly insulate the foundations, as well as various engineering structures under the ground.Decades pass, and the heater will remain the same as at the beginning.It is often used in the construction of multi-layer bases as the middle layer.It turns out a very reliable and high quality foundation.
- During the construction of houses without basements, on a monolithic foundation, is also convenient to use polystyrene foam.Slabs of this material stacked on the leveled ground, and then on top of them a layer of concrete is poured.Plates themselves may be either one row or more.After hardening of the concrete start to build a wall of the house.
- to foundation of the house does not freeze, it is very efficient heat insulation foam is not only vertical but also horizontal part.EPS boards are placed along the foundation.Then they were poured, if necessary, further paving waterproofing layer.This method of insulation protects the foundation from frost.
- The walls (and both inside and outside), you can also effectively isolate polystyrene.It is best if the block or brick wall.The high heat insulating effect is obtained by using polystyrene for insulating the interior is not observed the formation of the dew point.
- roof unvented type (warm, flat roofs) used Styrofoam brand NDE.Top necessarily put waterproofing layer.For cold roofs, which are ventilated, insulation is carried out differently.Foams insulate the inside of the roof, be sure to leave space for ventilation.This prevents the water vapor to condense.
- floors and ceilings between the floors is also good warm foam plates.Under them put a layer of insulating material, and on top, they are filled with concrete.
- more diverse produce polystyrene foam packaging, and use it for thermal insulation of refrigerators, freezers and special insulated vans.
What better to warm mineral wool
- for wooden houses do not have to choose what is best - polystyrene or mineral wool."Breathable" walls of wood is impossible to insulate foam - it would nullify their useful properties.Therefore, they are insulated using mineral wool.In buildings constructed of other materials, mineral wool sheathe walls, floors, ceilings, floors.If you insulate exterior walls, it makes the suspended ventilated facade type.Vapor barrier membrane - an integral part of this design.
- mineral wool insulate attics, roof spaces and ceilings of houses, pitched roof.This certainly leaves room for ventilation.
- brick house with a small number of stories in which the middle insulating layer is mineral wool.It is applied for sandwich panels of concrete, reinforced concrete, as well as sandwich panels in a metal sheath.
- be used in places where it is necessary to provide good protection from heat objects t. To. Basalt wool can withstand temperatures up to 1000 0C.
- Prefab buildings of any type, it is better to warm mineral wool.In addition, it is used for sound insulation.Moreover, this material is well suited for both the horizontal and vertical, and curved surfaces.
- Vata mineral fiber issued in the form of soft slabs, you can wrap the pipes of heat, water, gas lines.Also, it is isolated industrial equipment enterprises.
- Reviews of using basalt wool insulation
- Reviews of using extruded polystyrene
not received an answer to your question?It was not clear moments?
Ask our experts and visitors:
+ Add new question