If you are not able to spend much time in your garden, choose a site for the perennial average in size from three to six meters in length.You will need a few days to his initial training and then only a few hours a week for weeding and watering.If you do
ridge width not exceeding 90 cm, they will be easy to handle.On the other hand, the broader bed (bed), the easier it is to achieve the effect of constant flowering, because you can plant plants that bloom at different times.Start with narrow beds, and when will gain more experience with different plants, try to expand it.
to select the color for the garden, keep in mind the color, height and flowering time.Start by making a plan.Suppose you choose plants for a well-lit area length of six meters and a width of a half.Enter them in the table according to the time of flowering and height.As a rule, the final choice I make, focusing on color.
If you have a small space, try to plant early
Most perennials - sun worshipers.That they are well grown and blossomed, they need at least six hours of sunlight a day.
Do not forget that the afternoon sun is much brighter than the morning.Therefore, in a cold climate garden ideal location - in the south or the west, and in hot climates, where the afternoon sun warms too much preferable to the eastern exposure.
The area should be well-drained.Most perennials rots if stagnant water around the roots.If your site is too raw, the easiest way to fix things - plants grow on high beds.
I'm starting to plan a bed with taller plants in the back row, and then move on to the front edge.Placing plants, I try to imagine how they will look together from different parts of the garden.
most common mistake that novice gardeners is that they put too much culture, too much and too many seeds of plants.As a result, either can not cope with caring and a large part of the garden is the victim of weeds and pests, or the harvest is too abundant, and it is impossible to collect, not to mention the fact, to eat or to preserve.
If you are sure you will be able to obtain and maintain all the crop - please reload a large garden.But offensively, if you are constantly concerned about its poor condition due to the fact that it is too large.Perhaps more pleasant and less burdensome to start with a small garden.
gardeners too often persist in choosing a particular plan of the site.My advice: try every year a number of different styles in different parts of the garden, and only then choose your own.Here are the results of my experience.
When I plant vegetables close individual blocks or wide rows, you get a smaller area greater yield.However, not all kinds of vegetables suitable for this purpose.For example, tomatoes do not like tight fit.
If the garden is planted in rows, it is easier to mulch.Mulch can be placed between the rows, and so keep the soil moist and free of weeds.
I like to use in most of the high garden beds.Make them costs a lot of work, but in the future they will save you time, because they are easy to handle.Particularly useful in small beds width not exceeding 1.2 m. In the spring the soil warms up to them faster, giving an early start the first crops.
to a large garden, where it grows a lot of vegetables that require a large space, such as corn, pumpkin, potatoes and beans, the system of high beds are not very suitable.In this case the problem can be solved as follows: half of the garden to take the beds high and half - plane.
1. Here in the center - Basil Sweet Genovese, in one corner - carrots Touchon, in another -rukkola Selvatica, in the third - krasnolistnyh salad Red Sailsin the fourth - krasnolistnyh basil Purple Ruffles.
2. Tango stemmed celery growing inside dill Mammoth.When the celery is ripe, it is replaced with broccoli sprouts Shogun.You can fill empty seats marigold or some ornamental grass.
3. Nasturtiums complemented by two whip cucumber Lemon and three cucumber plants Straight Eight.When pickles are beginning to lose the energy of growth, they are replaced by seedlings Earliana cabbage and green onions.
4. The mixture is seeded directly into the soil zinnias separates two rows of leeks King Richard.Greenery herbs and salads fill the gaps between the bow and zinnias.Successive planting of this mixture allow longer-lasting formulation.
5. planted along the perimeter of carrots Kuroda surrounds a half-dozen plants of celery President.Beet Carillon also looks good in a frame.
6. Beans Monpellier growing in the corners, and the land is surrounded by nasturtiums Sweet Genovese basil in the center.
«Gardening Life» №1-2`2007