What goes around, gather - this folk wisdom will soon force truckers to recall the spring and open the seed.However, the selection and preparation of seed - an art with many nuances, which can be confused even experienced gardeners.Thus are born the myths that, at times, with the valuable knowledge passed down from generation to generation.It's time to part with false beliefs about the preparation of seeds and growing seedlings!
Myth 1. Gather your seeds will ensure a good harvest
Many gardeners believe that the seeds of its cultivation and harvesting - better quality than store bought.And some seed companies have long lost confidence gardeners: the seeds germinate, it grows is not what is stated on the package.And yet, what seeds to use better?
Consultant forumhouse.ru Olga Mokhov (nick Lobelia):
- To get a good crop, it is necessary to carry out the general farming practices.So, for the production of purebred seed needed spatial isolation from the potential pollinators.For each cultu
comply with such a distance between cultures - is problematic, because not every cottager boasts a large plot.Therefore, our advice - buy seeds, but trusted manufacturers.They cost more, but save on quality not worth it!
In addition, purchased seeds may already be prepared for sowing.Typically, inlaid and coated seeds coated with a shell of a certain color display: green, yellow, red, blue or another.Inlaid seeds - processed drugs against diseases and substances that improve the adhesion.When panning the seeds become protective shell.It may contain growth factors, trace elements, pesticides, protect against disease and pests (this should be a warning on the package).Such seeds are soaked, they can be sown immediately.
Myth 2. Collect the seeds can not only varieties, but hybrids with
rare gardener did not try to grow something new and different.How much joy brings a positive experience!Such cultures - with good (and personally tested!) Or taste unusual form always want to plant the next year.Thus gardeners often make another common mistake - collect seeds from hybrids grown from seeds purchased.
- Production of varieties - long and painstaking work, which lasts more than one year.The result is a variety that retains its qualities for decades.Hybrid is the same - this is a temporary combination of qualities set loose.Plants from hybrids will always contain various combinations of the parental forms.
other words, collected from hybrid seeds will not necessarily give the qualities that you like in the first year of growing crops.If you want to make sure that they are repeated - buy hybrid seeds again.
Myth 3. Seeds that were stored in the cold, lose their germination
Argued that the seeds can be frozen, if they are stored in the cold, or send by mail to the winter.Others believe that, on the contrary, seed storage in the cold several times prolongs the shelf life of seeds.Who is right?
experienced new posts forumhouse.ru Marina Repnina (Mariska nik):
- It is not true that the cold seeds lose their germination.The seeds of many ornamental plants for successful germination require long-term cooling (stratification).There are "lovers of winter swimming" among vegetable crops.Certainly, many have seen "thick forest" from last year's self-sown dill.Not rare and bushes "wild" tomatoes, which have grown from overwintered at temperatures below zero last year's seeds bushes.
- cold cold - discord.If you put on a little cold (below 0 ° C) unseasoned seeds, it will vernalization, which for many two-year garden plants undesirable.As a result, lettuce, radish, radishes, turnips, onions, carrots and other crops can shoot an arrow ahead of schedule.This will affect subsistence in the form of the final product.When seeds are stored deep cold is better because it hinders the process of respiration.
Be careful!The seeds of some plants, usually - southern, can not tolerate the cold.Be sure to read the information on the package!
Myth 4. Seeds sure to temper
Many gardeners pay a lot of time preparing seeds for sowing and consider the necessary process of hardening.Do we really need stratification?
- need, especially in the northern regions for growing thermophilic cultures.But not necessarily.Hardening is akin to the principle of vernalization, with her all the processes in the plant are faster.For example, shoots appear after this procedure 5-7 days earlier and the yield is increased by 40%.
Hardening is performed on the shift, and the shoots in the phase of cotyledon leaves.For each crop - seed hardening their terms.So, for the carrots, parsley and onion is - 15-20 days, cabbage - 17-22 days prior to planting.For five days, the seedlings quenched and the same - shoots.The temperature of the procedure - 5-10 ° C.
Hardening is performed as follows.Seeds are wrapped in gauze and soaked in cold water for 10-12 hours.After the water is drained and the seeds are placed in the freezer for 12 hours.Tomatoes kept at temperatures from -2 to -6 ° C, pepper and eggplant - from 0 to -2 ° C.The seeds are then again kept warm (20 ° C) for 12 hours.The procedure is repeated until the landing.Planted almost hatched after quenching seeds.To avoid escalating seeds can hold up to seeding at low temperature for a longer time.
Hardening of seeds is useful only if in the future you will be tempered and seedlings.It bring to a balcony or other cool place.Otherwise, during the growth of seedlings in a warm apartment will lose immunity, resulting in hardening of seeds.
Myth 5. potting soil for sowing seeds need to add sand or organic
Most gardeners find that the more feeding, the stronger will and prolific plant.It turns out that this is another myth, from which should say goodbye.
- germinating seeds do not need organic matter, its overabundance inhibits seed germination due to the high nitrogen content, as well as provoke a variety of diseases, such as black leg.But sand or other, increasing the aeration of the substrate material (vermiculite, perlite, sphagnum moss), it is necessary to add to the potting soil for sowing seeds.
Soil for seedlings should be loose, well-flowing water.Components for soil mix should be mixed in such proportions: 2 parts peat, 1 part humus (compost) and the same - sand (vermiculite, perlite).
At neutral pH of the substrate to add the compost is not recommended because of the large percentage of undecomposed organic matter.It can cause diseases of the root system.This is especially important for growing seedlings housing conditions - with ventilated and differences of day and night temperatures.Hydrogel for seedlings in small amounts is not required.
Learn more about proper selection and sowing of seeds you can from our video.At the forum you can see a table where the recommended planting dates and plant landing in open ground.However, note that these data need to be adjusted depending on your climate zone!