Some gardeners may have tired to fight for the preservation of life grass under trees and looking for the best solutions.Some may not be such a big lawn, and the space under the tree canopy - the only place reserved for flowerbeds.Others have already tired of having to mow grass or beautiful flower beds noted in neighboring areas, and want to do the same.Regardless of the circumstances, planting plants under the trees (except grass), can be both pleasing to the eye and beneficial to the tree when applied certain rules and principles.
not damage tree roots
during preparation and landing in any case can not damage the roots of the tree.A common misconception is that the roots of the trees are located deep under the ground and form a mirror image of the crown.in fact, this depends on the type of wood, soil, type of irrigation, et al., i.e., the roots are located and close to the surface and out far beyond the outlines crown (Fig. 1a and 1b).Before planting you need to get rid of the grass under a tre
This figure should be considered when choosing plants for planting.Very heavy cover of trees such as maple or linden serdtselistnaya aquifolium, not only will penetrate the sunlight, but also will become a natural umbrella protects from rain (ie, here it is necessary to use shade-tolerant plants that do not require copious watering, otherwise we will haveconstantly water them).In this case, you can also selectively thinned out a little crown of the tree.Another option is for planting such trees flowering spring bulb plants and / or other flowers blooming in early spring - these plants will grow and ottsvetut even before the dissolution of all the trees in full leaf, while getting enough sunlight and rainwater.After flowering plants such are not visible on the surface for years, and only reappear in early spring.It is best to cover them 15cm layer of mulch, or as shade-tolerant ground cover or other perennials.
perennial or annual plants?
Since damage to tree roots is highly undesirable, then the Crown would be wiser to plant perennials - a violation of the root system will be a one-off, then the roots of trees and plants are intertwined and coexist.
Large or small?
Given the fact that the roots of the tree should not suffer, plants are best planted small (small wells will they fit), placing them at a distance, consider the size of the adult plant.Also it is necessary to take into account the height of adult plants - the lower branches of the tree do not have to touch them, or artistic effect will be lost.If you are using plants of different heights, the highest species of plants should be planted closer to the trunk of the tree (Fig. 2a and 2b), otherwise the lower plants simply will not be visible.
Leave the previous level of the soil
Under the trees you can pour a bit of ground, but not more than a couple of centimeters, even if the tree's roots are at the surface (ie, silver maple).The added land can reduce the amount of water and oxygen supply to existing roots.Neither the land nor the mulch should not be poured on a tree trunk.This can lead to the appearance of adventitious roots or rotting base of the trunk.Nor should fill the existing ground lawn grass - it is, of course, will die and peregniet, but if it is not getting enough oxygen, then a "black layer", through which it will be difficult to penetrate the roots of new plants.
like black walnut trees (and the related gray walnut) can cause problems when planting under them.The roots of these trees produce a toxic substance juglone that can stop the growth, deform and even kill other plants.The plants of the nightshade family are most susceptible (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers and eggplants).Vulnerable are Nikotiana ornamental plants (flowering tobacco), Brovaliya (dark blue flower), Nirenberg and Petunia.Since this annual plants, and require bright sun, then it is better not to plant under trees.
process of landing under the existing trees
When transplanting plants under the canopy of trees in any case impossible to use large tools or power equipment to avoid damaging the roots of the tree.
- small shovel,
- rope, hose and / or spray paint,
- organic mulch (shredded leaves, shells of cocoa beans, shredded bark or wood chips)
- slowly release nitrogen fertilizers,
- water sources.
- First we need to determine the size and shape of the area you are going to planting.On the perimeter, it is desirable to place a flexible material - rope or hose.If you plan to plant the plants a few days, you can use spray paint planting of determining the area length - this is especially true if you plan to get rid of the grass with the help of chemicals.
- If the lawn grass grows rare that it can be handled manually - using a rake.But there also needs to be careful not to touch the roots of a tree, at the same time, you need to get rid of the grass roots.At the same time, try to keep most of the land in place (better to do it when the ground is not wet).
- If the landing process will take a few days, you should not forget about watering the roots of a tree, or else, you can temporarily lay mulch on the bare ground, the roots of the tree does not dry.
- If you have to get rid of a significant amount of grass under a tree, here it is recommended to use a non-selective systemic killing substances such as glyphosate.Since the substance is an active ingredient of killing which is transferred from the leaves of a plant to its roots, it is worth considering that this substance will save you from all the plants found on the surface, but does not harm the tree roots.About three days after getting rid of grass you can plant new plants on the territory.Dead lawn grass can be coated with an organic mulch to 10-15 cm - the grass will rot, and the land will have more nutrients.
- plants, prepared for the landing, it is desirable to hide from direct sun and keep together - so the land will be more moisture and the roots do not dry out.
- With small blades need to make small holes for planting new plants.If you happen to stumble on large tree roots (more than 5 cm in diameter), the hole to move.Damage to the small tree roots will not bring significant harm.Planter is better to start from the trunk of a tree, planted by watering plants - so you are not too zatopchet land, and do not get dirty in the mud.
- If you land plants at a considerable distance from each other, given the size of adult plants on bare ground it is desirable to put a layer of organic mulch, but not more than 15 cm - this will help to get rid of weeds, retain moisture in the soil and reduce soil compaction.
- After landing all plants well pour the entire area, while continuing abundant watering weekly until the plants do not take.Watering should be reduced if the rainy season.